Thursday 7 April 2016

The other sewing

I started a Sew Together Bag.



And I finished a Sew Together Bag.



Then I made a pink quilt.

This was the front.



And this was the back.



Then I made a cushion cover for a skills swap with a former work colleague who now fires her own pottery designs, many with a Guernsey theme.



Can you believe that in return she gave me these:







Then youngest daughter picked fabric and pompons for two cushions for her room.



After which I made a cushion cover for my secret partner in the cushion cover swap I set up on Instagram.



And then I made another one.
Just because I had a wobble moment about working with softer colours.


And then I unfortunately made another one.
Because people don't always do what they sign up to do.

Organising a swap has been a HUGE eye opener to me.
I will never get people who willingly sign up for something on the basis of a set of rules they have re-read and then completely fail to follow through.

It is HUGELY time consuming (and frustrating) having to chase people and I'm afraid I lose a little bit of respect for them in the process.

In this swap there is one person who suffered a life-changing medical situation where she is currently unable to walk and confined to a wheelchair. Yet, she still contacted me to say she was not a flaker and would be finding a friend to mail her package. I would never have expected her to do that.

It just heightens even further the lack of communication from others.

So I had to make another cushion cover.



Then I had a temporary obsession with sewing together teeny tiny scraps into pouches and needed to make four before the scratch was itched.



I swapped mini quilts in person with the lovely Rhea at one of my favourite quilt shops ever.



I don't often get to see quilt stuff in person so when I did, I made a number of purchases.

Such as this pop-up basket. You buy the pattern and wires and you do the fabric choosing and assembling of.



And a Linden sweatshirt.
There was a sample hanging in the shop and it looked so nice and I keep hearing it is easy.

So this is as far as I've got.



And a Weekender Bag.

This is like the Holy Grail of bag making and although I don't actually need one, that is beside the point.
I need to make one.
So I've started.



I'm using Peltex, wadding and scraps of cotton canvas.
I may live to regret such a sturdy layering.
Only time and needles will tell.

And finally...I've started another quilt using these fabrics.
Just because.



I hope you know what that means.
I sent my mum some flowers this week with 'just because' on the delivery note.

She called me to thank me for the flowers but asked what 'just because' meant.

Just because
is
Just because I can.


36 comments:

  1. Wow! What a lot of beautiful quilting and sewing. Everything is just gorgeous. The pottery is just beautiful, too! I'm so sorry that someone didn't do the right thing by your swap. Just think, though, there were many more sewists who did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman! When do you sleep or eat??? You have been BUSY! All are incredibly wonderful projects. I so love the little scrap pouch with the green zipper. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to swaps and even bees! There always seems to be someone who spoils the fun for not just their partner but the organiser like you! I won't participate in them anymore because of the 'flakers'! Love all your makes - your love for bright colours and pastels is first class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't believe your output. I kept scrolling down and still more lovely stuff. I love your use of bright colours and your quilts are always stunning. Those pop up baskets look good. I wonder if they are available online. I also love the cushion you made for the skills swap and her pottery is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink quilt, the back even more than the front and I'm not that into pink ...
    Your friend does make pretty stuff!
    Now I'm looking forward to your next quilt, great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness that's an impressive ensemble there! I like that you do things "just because" ... we need more of that in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly, that is an incredible amount of work. Swaps are interesting as some people put lots of effort in and others do the absolute basics. I now find I only do swaps with those I know. I can imagine how organising one would be hideous. Love love the cushions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely selection of projects, I enjoyed reading about them all! I really like your bright pink quilt, back & front!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous collection of finished projects. Totally impressed by them all. Sorry you had such a hassle with your Swap, very frustrating for an organised girl like you. As ever, your colour choices are super, a feast for the eyes. And those cushions are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, it's pretty obvious where you've been spending the time you weren't giving us your usual bloggy eye candy. You were cranking out all these pieces of gorgeousness. Beautiful, beautiful work. I'm totally with you on the swap issue; I have the same problem with some of my members - it's like herding cats. Having said that, I'm going round again for another session because the results are so rewarding. And that beautiful pottery is quite enviable. Does she have a website? I'd love to go and have a browse round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't because she doesn't do mail order and only sells locally. She's on Instagram as @roundchimneypottery if you want to have a look at all the lovelies!

      Delete
  12. wow! You have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was trying to see how long this all took! Please tell me you drink coffee--lots and lots of coffee. ; ) Each one is a beauty, and I've had a great time focusing on the fabrics you chose. As always, your work is inspiring to me. Thanks for the mini show today.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have started two sew-together bags this year and have finished neither, but I did finish my cushion cover. Given all wheelchair-bound M has gone through and still not disappointed her partner, I would have had no excuse!
    Trust your instincts with the softer colours. They both look great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG. I love everything about that pink quilt. I'd truly be grateful if you could do a tutorial on that "technique." If I had to guess I would think that it is raw edge applique over a gray base, but I doubt that since I don't see ragged edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a yard of interfacing as the backing, added random scraps on, not worrying about their raw edges which I knew would be covered. When I got the edges of the 'montage' I pressed over the outside edges which would be visible. I cut away the interfacing round the edges, placed it on a backing of Essex yarn dyed linen and then straight line quilted the life out of it. That's really all I did!

      Delete
  16. Besides this impressive list, someone forgot to mention all the Soy Amado quilts you've completed as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work and so many things! I've avoided the swaps as I just have such an unpredictable schedule right now, I wonder why others don't too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all of your projects. So inspiring! Thanks for sharing all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You've been busy. I feel like a real slacker now. :) Everything you make is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You've been busy. I feel like a real slacker now. :) Everything you make is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good grief! That is an amazing amount of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a marvelous sewist. You got it all...color, design, hutzpah, drive...wow...I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are a Rock Star. Or maybe a Quilt Star, but some kind of Star for certain!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just headed over from Crazy Mom Quilts - and I am so glad I did! What fabulous things you have made. I love the double sided pink quilt - truly reversible!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much quilty goodness. I have been following your swap on IG, can't post photos to it on my phone though. I don't think I would ever have the patience to organise a swap myself, so well done to you for doing so. The quality of pillows I have seen is awesome. Would you ever set up a Flickr swap, I would love to participate in this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow so much inspiration in one blog! Thank you. It brightens my day, all those beautifull and sunny colors. Have a nice weekend, Conny

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an amazing post . . . so much to see and so pretty and bright. Now, I'm going back and looking at it again, only slower this time :)
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG! Do you ever sleep? Love the sew together bags and Pink quilt especially 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well haven't you been busy making wonderful things?! Hope you're keeping some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't know where you live but it must be some beautiful sunny place to inspire your use of such beautiful and brilliant colors. love your work!
    http://pamspaintbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your post was fabulously cheerful!! Made me smile. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your post was fabulously cheerful!! Made me smile. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, there is no grass growing under your feet. I am constantly amazed at all you accomplish. Love your rectangle quilt, the colors are so joyful. Also, your pillows are swoon worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG your fabrics are to die for. I have the biggest swoon and am so inspired.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10