Friday 24 February 2012

Fifteen days

Fifteen days. That's how long I lasted into 2012 before signing up to a swap. I had told myself 2012 was to be the year of no swaps, no bees, just mindless, relaxing sewing of what I wanted, when I wanted.

But then sign ups for round 7 of the Pillow Talk {Swap} on Flickr opened up and I caved in. Has to be just about my favourite swap. You can never have too many pillows/cushions right?

And then I got my partner.

And then I panicked a bit because I am a huge admirer of her creativity. We were told to bring our A game to this swap but I felt I had to bring my A+ game for this partner.

For me, the easy part is picking the fabric. I take note of their likes in the sign up information, I trawl through their Flickrstream and read their blog and after a few days, I know which fabrics I want to use.

But what pattern to make?

I recently bought this and was itching (figuratively) to try it out. And then Jenny posted this tutorial on her blog and I knew that was what I wanted to make with the chosen fabric.



The tutorial was very easy to follow with the exception of my understanding the instructions for squaring up the blocks on the 1/8th mark which I think are less than perfect.

Yes, I know it's the same backing as my last Pillow Swap but I like it and it fits in with the colours and it's the right size!


However, I don't think it detracts from the overall look of the cushion/pillow and I am keeping my fingers crossed my partner likes it.

What it has done is completely whetted my appetite to see what other patterns and shapes can be made with the ruler. The curves are indeed very gentle ones to sew yet they create such dramatic and interesting effects.

Machine pieced and quilted with a little bit of perle hand quilting for good measure



I have a baby quilt to make next for a new arrival that caught me by surprise by putting in an appearance 4 1/2 weeks early so am hoping to do a curvy quilt for her.

Linking up to Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday

27 comments:

  1. Swaps are good to push us to be creative on a deadline. I'm not doing any this year (yet, but we'll see). I love this cushion and your partner would be crazy not to love it too. I'm off to check our your links and the flickr group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cushion! Thanks for introducing me to Jenny's blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Alison!
    I caved in for the Pillow Talk Swap too but I climbed back on my wagon and withdrew before they assigned partners. I'm kicking myself now, as I see all these gorgeous pillows appearing. You have a very lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up to one swap because I thought I'd regret it if I didn't but 2012 is definitely the year for me to go swap lite. The decision is made easier by so many swaps being by strict invitation only these days. If I'm not on the list I don't feel so bad about not bothering to try and get in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You persuasive person - have just ordered my ruler - hope your on commission

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have NO will power when it comes to joining in !! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny that you couldn't hold out longer with signing up for a swap! I know what you mean-- I've told myself no swaps for a while, but it's tough!
    I LOVE the pillow-- that pattern is so cool, and I love the fabrics you chose. Your partner is going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pillow!!! Love the pattern :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning - your partner is going to be thrilled when (s)he opens the parcel!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous pillow! love the fabric combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could finish up something on a Friday! I do not get home from work until 7pm, then it's dinner time :) Looks good BTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that ruler is looking like a must have- nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! You definitely get an A+!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pillow is gorgeous. Perfectly pieced, colors and fabrics are awesome. Plus you added some hand stitching. I'm sure your partner will love this pillow very very much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I`m sworn off swaps...see how long that lasts! You`ve done an amazing job - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing! Curves scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is stunning. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That pillow is beautiful, the pattern and the colours. Definitely an A++ game!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's great to make plans and resolutions and then break them isn't it?! I am in only 1 swap so far, making zipped pouches. Am really glad I did it too, I had never sewn a zip before and now I can (sort of!) the cushion is fabulous, love the colours and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks great. I can imagine this to be FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just beautiful! I think your swap partner will be thrilled! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How did I miss this one? Very, very nice. Cough, cough!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10